At any age, a complete oral health home program includes sound nutritional habits. Many of the foods that help your body build strong muscles and bones also help build strong, healthy teeth and gums.
- Dairy products provide calcium and vitamin D for strengthening teeth and bones.
- Bread and cereals supply B vitamins for growth and iron for healthy blood, which in turn contributes to healthy gum tissue.
- Fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C (among other important vitamins) are essential to maintaining healthy gums.
- Lean meat, fish, poultry and beans provide iron and protein for overall good health, and magnesium and zinc for teeth and bones.
- And if you are among thousands of Irish people who smoke, your dental hygienist will educate you about the hazards of tobacco and work with you to establish a smoking cessation program.